Sunday 27 December 2009

My first Christmas Quilt


One of the things I love about Christmas is getting out my collection of decorations. Many of the ornaments evoke specific memories of past Christmases or places where the decorations were bought. Since my daughter, Sophia, was born I've started accumulating Chistmassy books and films which come out every year. With this in mind I decided to make 'Christmas Quilt'. This was quite an undertaking for me as I only started quilting in September. The quilt is made from a jelly roll - the fabric being from Moda's 'Merry and Bright' range. I used the 'Pandora's Box' pattern from 'Jelly Roll Quilts'.

The quilting is very basic - I've quilted around the blocks 1/4" from the seam. Initially I started stippling over the quilt, which was admittedly ambitious for a first project! I spent a whole week undoing the experiment - mainly because the stippling was so small it would have taken me a month to cover the quilt top! I also learned that it is best to use the same colour thread on the top and bottom of the quilt when stippling. All valuable lessons learned! I love my Christmas quilt and hope it will come out year after year!

No comments:

Post a Comment