Friday 12 August 2011

Matilda cake

My friend Luned is providing the catering at a children's camp at Llanmadoc this week. Part of the theme for the week is Children's books and so I was asked to make a Matildaesque chocolate cake for the final evening. for anyone who is lost, and I must confess I had to jog my memory, this is in reference to the chocolate cake that features in the book Matilda by Roald Dahl. In the novel Bruce Bogtrotter, one of the characters, eats an entire chocolate cake without throwing up. Apologies if I've got any details wrong - it is at least 20 years since I read the book!

A suitably large and chocolatey offering has been gracing my kitchen - a moist and gooey monster of a cake. I have baked two 10" chocolate cakes which I split to provide four layers sandwiched with vanilla buttercream. The whole cake has been covered with a thick layer of chocolate buttercream applied with a spatula and a straight edge and then finished with an icing comb for effect. Not being a great lover of chocolate this mammoth creation is a bit lost on me. Am sure it will be greatly received by a bunch of 10-13 year olds though. This has made me feel a little *ahem* old, as I have memories of similar summer camps and it doesn't feel that long ago!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment