Wednesday 22 December 2010

Tree Skirt



Last year I sent my husband to buy a Christmas tree - he returned with a rather short offering which must only have been a metre high! This year, seeing that we moved house in March and the living room has a 10 foot ceiling, I decided to supervise the purchase. I am happy to report that I have a 7-8 foot spruce in the bay window! Also after years of refusing to buy a Christmas tree stand and subsequent years of innovative methods of housing trees, I gave in and bought a green metal stand.

Last week, while recovering from a nasty chest infection, I made a tree skirt to cover the stand and I am very pleased with the results. I adapted the tree skirt tutorial on the Crazy mom quilts blog. Instead of making log-cabin blocks I used a 'Crazy Eight' charm pack and arranged 6x6 charms. This was basted , backed and stippled before cutting an opening in the quilt sandwich. The skirt was then bound with a complimentary fabric and applied to the base of the tree. I really love it and am pleased that I've managed to complete one Christmas sewing fabric project. There are a few UFOs floating around - I think this year's Christmas quilt is going to be a New Year quilt seeing as the matching backing fabric I ordered has been stuck in the snow post for the last week ...

No comments:

Post a Comment