Saturday 16 July 2011

Birthday Cushion

There aren't enough hours in the day at the moment. So much inspiration but oh so little time! There are 2 days left before school breaks up and I have my Big Girl home - I'm looking forward to lazy mornings and not having to be out-the-door by 8.30 am.

I made my friend Mari a birthday cushion for her little girl who turned one last week. I'd bought a delicious fat quarter pack about a month ago - quite literally delicious as the fabric, by Makower, is covered in cupcakes and other sweet delights.

I had some 30X30 cm cushion pads so I calculated that nine 4 and a half squares arranged in three rows of 3 squares would give the correct dimensions. The fat quarter pack contained 4 prints so two 4 and a half squares were cut from each - the remaining square would be white fabric so I could embroider Gwennan's name onto it.

The cut squares ready to go:


And sewn together:


I used a fabric marker to write Gwennan's name on the white square after I'd sewn the squares together to make sure I centered it properly.


This was then embroidered with running stitch in a hot pink coloured silk:


The cushion was backed simply using the envelope method. I am very pleased with the result and it was well received by Gwennan herself! I was in a bit of a rush to complete it and would have liked to have embroidered some flowers around the name on the centre square but time did not allow! However, I've cut out another set of squares to make a similar cushion for a little 3 year old called Efa - her much shorter name lends itself to lots of embellishing!!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment