Thursday 22 September 2011

Extravagant Ripple

I've wanted to make a crochet ripple blanket for ages. The rate-limiting step was, for a while, my inability to read a crochet pattern - I tried, and failed, with many a ripple pattern. After my wonderful mother-in-law tweaked my crochet technique and explained that american and UK crochet terms were different and it was never going to work if I mixed the two, I realised that I could in fact read a pattern!


The ripple patern I used was adapted from 'Cute and Easy Crochet' by Nicky Trench of Laughing Hens fame. In the book the ripple features as a cushion cover. I can't remember the number of chains in my foundation chain specifically - I made it a little longer than I wanted the blanket to be and then repeated the pattern repeat sequence until I got towards the end of the foundation chain. If there weren't enough chains left to make another pattern sequence then I left them as a little tail at the end of the work - to be undone or woven in on completion of the project!


The 'extravagant' part of the blanket lies in the choice of yarn - Rowan Felted Tweed. I have always loved this yarn, but at around £5.50 a ball it is a tad pricey. It was an impromptu purchase when I found it on special offer at my not so local yarn shop. The ripple has been an ongoing project for a few months now and I'm about two thirds done. I love the warm, rich colours of the yarn - I had planned to share the finished article on my blog when it was completed, but with the weather and evenings becoming increasingly autumnal with blankets on the sofa, I couldn't resist.

1 comment:

  1. wow- looking fab- i looked at this pattern recently but it looks far too complex-need to crack the granny stripe before attempting this x

    ReplyDelete