Thursday 28 May 2015

Caterpillars


My son absolutely loves 'The Hungry Caterpillar'.  At school they dedicated a whole half term to to the book.  It is such a great story and it is fab for learning all sorts of things...numbers...days of the week...butterfly life cycles...my boy has been in his element!

I've promised to make him a pair of hungry caterpillar socks for ages.  To my mind the Hungry Caterpillar is perfect sock inspiration - it naturally has a green body and a red head which obviously becomes the toe.

I did some experimentation with the pattern and the yarn before arriving at the result above.  The initial yarn I used was a bit too variegated for the caterpillar body even though some of the colour changes matched the caterpillar in the book perfectly.  It may have worked for an adult sized pair of socks but there were too many colour changes for  small child sized socks.  I had some beautiful green semi-sold Esme sock yarn from Posh Yarns in my stash which I used instead - it worked really well with the garter ridges.  Being a semi-solid colour there is a subtle variation in colour which you can't see in the photo but it is quite Hungry Caterpiller-esque in real life.  The toes are made with some basic 4-ply red yarn for the toes.

Currently the socks technically are non-eyed caterpillars but it is very difficult to remove them from an adoring 4 year old for facial modification!  I may crochet some tiny eyes in due course but I think even without the socks give a nod toward's the book's main character!

No comments:

Post a Comment