Thursday 14 April 2011

Tea Time


The start of the week had more glorious sunshine but sadly by today its a washout - just in time for the school holidays as always! This week has involved a lot of baking, but I'm also pleased to announce that my sewing machine has been out this week for the first time in 10 weeks!

I've experimented with an old family favourite for this week's tea-time treat. Being Welsh, the traditional Welsh cake is a family staple - I can't remember a time without them. For those who don't know, the best way I can describe them is somewhere between a scone and a cookie. Traditionally they are cooked on a bakestone or griddle, best eaten warm and in my house slightly burnt! I always put sultanas in mine, but recently, inspired by an episode of The Hairy Bikers Mums know best I have deviated from the unadulterated form. The Cardiff mum who was featured shared a recipe in which she replaced the raisins/sultanas/mixed fruit with ... white chocolate and cranberries! Admittedly such a combination is a marriage made in heaven in my book, but in a Welsh cake? I was dubious, especially as it seemed to be meddling with an age old recipe! Tried - I did. The result - I ate my words.


I used my own trusted recipe rather than the version from the Hairy Bikers BBC webpage, replacing the sultanas with, quite literally, a handful of dried cranberries and a handful of white chocolate chips. In a word - divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment