Tuesday 16 October 2012

The Farmer's Wife Quilt

When I was a little girl I always wanted to marry a farmer.  I cannot recall why this was and I ended up marrying a doctor instead!  Over the last year or so many, many crafty people I admire in blogland have been partaking in this:


The project is based on this book:

 The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: Letters from 1920s farm wives and the 111 blocks they inspired


Basically it involves 111 different quilting blocks inspired by a collection on 1920s letters to 'The Farmer's Wife' magazine as a response to the question 'Would you want your daughter to marry a farmer?'

I've been stalking several blogs over the last few months trying to decide if I would take the plunge.  As I am a bit of a serial starter when it comes to projects I didn't really want to bite off more than I could chew.   I bought the book and fell in love!  The blocks in the book are in very traditional 'civil war' type colours but easily lend themselves to a more contemporary colour palate.

I bought the book for a friend as a birthday gift, and together we are going to try and make one or two blocks a week.  The idea is by doing it together we will provide each other with inspiration and motivation, as well as giving us something fun to do now that the weather is properly autumny and the nights are drawing in.

Here are my first two blocks:




The block above is called 'Autum Tints', while the one below is 'Basketweave'.  I've changed the arrangement of the block slightly  in the latter, preferring it to the book's layout.

I think this may become addictive.....

No comments:

Post a Comment