Friday 26 October 2012

Keeping Up

Happy Friday everyone!  It is a very happy Friday in my house today as it's the last day of the autumn term, the sun is shining and it has become that little bit colder thus signalling the start of snuggling season!

I've been keeping up with my Farmer's Wife block - I am absolutely loving making the blocks.  Working on one unique block at a time from start to finish gives me a sense of achievement and also accomplishment - many of the blocks incorporate traditional quilting designs, many of which I've not attempted before.  it's educational as well as pleasurable!  Here are this week's offerings:

Attic Windows


I loved making this one!  It's the first block in the book and the first one where I've physically made use of the templates to cut the fabric.  For the previous blocks I've measured the printed template and accurately cut to those measurements.  This may be shocking to the purists out there but my logic was that if I repeatedly use my template how can i make sure I'm not shaving off bits of it during the cutting process and therefore changing the dimensions?  With this Attic Windows block I had no choice but to use the templates as they were all odd shapes and I am very happy with the result.  Incidentally I printed out the templates on acetate so they were a bit more sturdy.

Contrary Wife


I absolutely love the name of this block!  I think my husband probably thinks I fit into such a category!  I cut a few corners here (not literally!) by making half square triangles rather than using the templates.  I love the contrast of the red and white fabrics.

Tomorrow I'm leaving both children with my husband for a whole day to go to the Autumn Quilt Festival at Malvern.  I hope to find some lovely fabrics to share next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment