Friday 11 July 2014

A Yorkshire Hat


I'm knitting a hat.  I know it's July but I like to be prepared :-).  Also, despite being the British Summer, nights at the beach can be chilly and come the start of the rugby season in September, a late evening kick off also can necessitate a hat.  I think it will have much use before Winter is upon us.

The hat pattern is called 'Northallerton' by Rachel Coopey from her book 'Toasty'.  I've been a big fan  since I bought her sock book at last year's 'Wonderwool' so acquired "Toasty' as soon as I could.  I bought the wool at this year's Wonderwool - 'Titus' by Baa Ram Ewe which is my current favourite yarn from my current favourite yarn shop.  Here is my progress:




A knitting surge over the last two days has resulted in me finishing the large yellow colour work section as well as the second duck egg blue repeat so I am nearly done.  Incidentally the colours I've used are called 'Coal' (black/charcoal), Bramley Baths (duck egg) and Filey (yellow).  The Titus  colour palate and their names are evocative of Yorkshire where the yarn is spun and dyed.  The fabulous Baa Ram Ewe where it is sold, has shops in Leeds and Harrogate.  We will be visiting my sister-in-law and family up in Leeds in a couple of weeks so i am hoping to visit at least one of the shops!

It is quite appropriate that while I have been knitting 'Northallerton' with Yorkshire yarn while the Tour de France has been on - Leeds being the location of the 'Grand Depart'.  Shame we are going to Yorkshire two weeks too late!

My brother-in-law sent us this photo though:


They were in Otley - three hours of waiting and then over in a flash!



No comments:

Post a Comment