Tuesday 1 May 2012

Experimentation

My hourglass quilt from my last post is into the finishing stages - all quilted with most of the binding attached.  Last week I managed another quilt - completely from start to finish.  It was a bit of an experiment in both piecing and quilting.

I had wanted to try a tumbler type quilt for sometime but had no recipient in mind, let alone fabric colour or design.  A good friend of mine had her fourth child a couple of weeks ago - a beautiful baby boy, which after three little girls is a bit of a novelty - so this quilt was made for him.


The fabrics are from the 'Reunion' line by Sweetwater which I have loved since I first cast eyes on it.  The colours are bright and, despite a few floral prints, quite boyish.  I used two charm packs but did not use all the prints - the floral prints were placed towards the edges of the quilt so aren't too obvious.  I think the overall look is quite masculine though.  Moda Bakeshop had a great tutorial for a tumbler quilt as written by Crazymomquilts.

The back of the quilt is one piece and is an adorable bunting print from the 'Reunion' line:



Sorry, the picture isn't the best!  The binding is also from the 'Reunion' range and is also featured in the quilt top.

And now my favourite part - my experimental quilting!  This was a bold move and entirely out of the comfort zone.  I tried stippling with some navy thread but it just didn't look right.  I bit the bullet and tried a sort of double loopy free-motion design:



It is nowhere near perfect but I absolutely LOVE it!  I've gained a little bit of confidence to try some more experimental quilting - could get addictive ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment