Friday 15 March 2013

Cwtch Cwpan

I had never made a mug hug until last weekend.  If I'm honest I would say that I really didn't want to make one either - I had never really grasped the point, if my coffee gets cold I put it in the microwave.  Last Friday a certain 7 year old came home from school with a request for hand made mug hugs - Cwtch Cwpan in Welsh.  I cannot express how much joy the Welsh translation gave me - it is just lovely :-).  The request came from the school's Eco Council (school has changed a lot since I was a pupil it seems) to sell on their Fair Trade stall for Fair Trade Fortnight. 

Saturday was largely spent trying to decide on a suitable pattern - searching on Ravelry for 'mug hug' or 'mug cozy' results in so many possibilities, both knitting and crochet!  I must say I wasted a lot of valuable time at this first hurdle.  In the end I settled on a pattern from the new magazine 'Simply Crochet' which has some really nice things to make within its pages.



Admittedly, if I had spent less time browsing patterns and more time actually crocheting I could have made more than the 4 mug hugs I donated.  However, after experimenting with the mug hug over the weekend, I would say I am now a convert so I shall be making some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment