Friday 23 November 2012

Birthday Cushion

We have a birthday party tomorrow afternoon - my friend's little girl, Phoebe, is turning two.  I'm finding it increasingly difficult to buy for children's birthdays these days.  It seems they all have pretty much everything and their tastes change with the wind it seems!

I decided to make something for this particular party - a more personal touch I think.  So I present the Birthday Cushion:


As is obvious, I absolutely love quilting, but I don't often embark on smaller, quicker projects which is rather silly considering the pleasure and satisfaction this little project gave me - made during naptime yesterday afternoon.

The basic assembly of the cushion, which is of the envelope backed variety, was inspired by this tutorial, although the front of the cushion is different and constructed by myself.  I had to use my brain and do the math though as my cushion pad was a different size.  To be honest I am quite impressed with myself as I find constructs in my head don't always work in practise, especially when calculations are required!

The fabrics are mainly from a Robert Kaufman line called confections - they are 2.5" strips sewn together.  The plain pink fabric is by Amy Butler and I embroidered Phoebe's name in a running stitch onto it.  A little bit of quilting completes it - just straight line quilting with my walking foot a quarter of an inch from each seam.

I loved constructing this cushion so much that I think I will make some Christmas cushions in the same way!

No comments:

Post a Comment