Friday 11 January 2013

Back to Work

I love that January feeling - the start of a brand new year with so many possibilities, I find it quite inspiring!  The Farmer's Wife quilt project is back at work this week and I'm happy to say the first two blocks of 2013 are completed.  In fact I have a new love of the project after my Christmas hiatus.

My plan for these two blocks was to use more white as background fabric so as to make the blocks a little less busy.  I've also decided that red is pretty much going to be the unifying colour throughout the project so I am just going to run with it rather than justify it's use. 

Here are the two blocks:

Firstly, End of Day





I like this block :-), I love the shapes of the individual pieces and how striking it looks with just the three fabric choices.  The aqua and red look lovely together I think.

Secondly, Old Windmill, which was the more challenging of this week's blocks - 32 mini triangles to cut and piece!  Overall I'm happy with it:


If you look at the very top left unit, something went a bit awry with the seam allowance so the corners don't align, but nothing that can't be corrected.  After sewing it all together I didn't have the heart to get the seam ripper out as the overall block looked so pretty.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but in 'The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt' book, there is a choice when it comes to the size of the finished quilt: lap-size (50 blocks), Twin-size (83 blocks), Queen-size (110 blocks) or King-size (a whopping 145 blocks).  As it's an American book I'm not entirely sure how this relates to British bed sizes but I shall definitely NOT be making the king-size!  At the moment I'm setting my sights on the twin-size quilt and with 22 blocks now made I am a quarter of the way towards the goal.  Part of me thins that 110 blocks isn't a lot (?) more so I may push myself that little bit further - time will only tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment