Monday 28 January 2013

Spring Blocks

The blocks I made last week make me think about spring time - blues and yellows remind me of hyacinths and daffodils.  A bit of brightness amidst the winter weather!


(Broken Dishes - block 11)



(Honeycomb - block 49)

I found Honeycomb much harder to pull off than the Broken Dishes block, despite the larger pieces.  I used the half square triangle method for the first block which meant I had less of a margin for error when putting it all together, so I am happy with Broken Dishes.

The Honeycomb block above is my second attempt to be perfectly honest.  The first one was a big mess - firstly I wasn't happy with the background fabric (pink and spotty with some cherries) which made the block too busy and too fruity and secondly, pretty much none of the seams came together.  Even with remedial work I could not make it look better, and when your pink loving 7 year old tells you it looks bad, it's time to cut the losses and scrap it.  Last night I cut out new templates and and fabric and took my time piecing it together.  The strawberry Cath Kidston print stands out much better against the white background and the the whole thing is constructed a whole lot better.

I've started cutting out this week's two blocks already but I am itching to finish a baby quilt as well as start two Very Important Projects!!!  I am trying so hard to be disciplined.

No comments:

Post a Comment