Sunday 13 January 2013

Cushion Love

I'm finding a new love in making cushions.  There is something very satisfying about a project that can be started and completed during naptime :-). 


This is another simple envelope back cushion made to fit a 12" cushion pad.  I think the fabrics are all from a Michael Miller collection of yesteryear - I loved the bright colours and the bold prints.  Turns out these sorts of fabrics are perfect for little boys and this cushion was a birthday gift for my friend's two year old.

I started with a central 10" square of the digger fabric and framed it with fabric strips to make the front cover 12.5 inch square.


I didn't add any quilting to the cushion front this time as I thought the diggers probably provided enough interest!


The fabric at the back compliments the cushion front.  These were 12.5" x 9" pieces - I turned down a half inch seam and pressed it before folding it over another half inch and sewing along the seam.  The front and backs were then pinned together and the whole thing sewn up with a quarter inch seam.

The finished article was well received and I am contemplating more cushion projects.  My house could certainly do with a few more scattered around and as long as I don't have thirteen cushions in one room as my Aunt Vera once had, all will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment