Tuesday 22 March 2011

Yarn Snobbery

I have a confession to make - when it comes to wool, I am an unashamed snob. I love natural fibres and get far tooooo excited about them. I've been known to buy yarn purely on the basis of its content and feel, and for many years I have frowned on synthetic fibres. Just before I had baby boy, I took a jaunt to my not-so-local woolshop in Port Talbot. It's a fantastic, albeit unconventional shop, located above a film rental shop on the Sandfields estate, with literally floor to ceiling shelves of wool. They stock everything from the well known brands to the more 'boutique' type yarns - from cheap colourful acrylic to high end designer yarns - something for every taste and pocket. On a whim, I decided to try some of their acrylic yarn for a stripey crochet blanket at the bargain price of £1.70 for a 100g ball. Initially I was unconvinced - I didn't like the squeekyness of the yarn against my designer crochet hook, nor did I like the stitch definition. However, with a larger metal crochet hook and slightly looser tension I am liking the overall effect. The blanket it still in a slow experimental stage so I will reserve full judgement until completion. For now, and for me, I will consider it an education!

No comments:

Post a Comment