Thursday 31 March 2011

Sunshine in a jar!


The glorious weather has come to an end for the time being. Yesterday and today have been dull, dreary and rainy. Breakfast time yesterday morning was grey and miserable and to add insult to injury there was no jam in the house to have with our toast! Madam Sophia was not best pleased but was pacified with some of my mother-in-law's crab apple jelly, normally reserved for sunday roasts. While frantically searching for something to put on madam's toast, what do I find in the cupboard but a little bit of leftover summer - homemade lemon marmalade, unopened and intact.

While on holiday last summer I sampled the most divine lemon marmalade in a small B&B. I am not a big fan of marmalade as a general rule, but in my then pregnant state it seemed like nectar. On our return home I searched high and low for lemon marmalade with no luck - everything was either orange, grapefruit or lemon with lime. Nothing else would do and so to satisfy my craving I made my own - finding a recipe proved difficult so in the end I adapted an orange marmalade recipe. I can't remember how long the craving lasted but obviously not long enough to open the very last jar. In the miserable rain it was a little sunshine in a jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment